Thursday, July 10, 2014

Reptiles in Abundance (Virginia)

A re-work of a recent post. Seems there's a lot more reptiles out there than just turtles!

For some years now I've been logging box turtles that I've come across on our land. This evening, I came across the smallest turtle I've ever seen -- even smaller than the dead one I found last month.

This neonate eastern box turtle does not even have distinct markings yet. It is about 4 cm long.
This was a very small dead turtle I came across about a month ago. It was probably almost twice as long as the one above and had already developed a distinctive shell pattern.
My bear has been a regular visitor -- lots of "bear sign" around the house. While I was trying (unsuccessfully) to make a cast of a beautiful bear track, I looked to my left and found this black rat snake about a foot away -- clearly annoyed at me.

A black rat snake (non-venomous) in a defensive posture. I was so focused on the bear track, that I didn't notice this snake a mere foot away.
The next day, this five-lined skink (lizard) was in the patio umbrellas when I put it up.
The juvenile stage of the skink has a bright blue tail. This is the first one I've seen that is mature enough to no longer have the blue tail.



No comments:

Post a Comment