Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Baby Stuff

Our first grandchild is due in August. What an opportunity to go shopping!

I've been admiring these cradles for some time. Now I have an excuse to buy one.

I'm sure this violates all sorts of American guidelines for safe parenting, but it's so-o-o-o Gujarati!
The structure is very solid -- solid tropical hardwood of some sort. Very heavy!
The cradle part is like a mini-charpoy (cot) with side rails. Unfortunately, it's only really appropriate for the first few months.
For longer use (up to age two or three), it can also be used with a hammock. Babies in India are quite frequently put in a hammock made by tying a sari between two trees or two posts. Baby hammocks are also seen in cars and trains.
As a further benefit, this hammock includes mosquito netting.
If you look carefully at the photos, you may have noticed that the set is not entirely put together solidly -- I haven't tightened everything in place because at some point this will need to be shipped in pieces.

And for mama and papa:

A porch swing for David and Maria's front porch. 
Now all I have to do is figure out how to get this stuff to the U.S. The porch swing will wait until we ship all of our household goods home this fall, but the cradle has to get there sooner! Originally I had hoped it could be my second bag on our flights, but I have two domestic flights before I get to Virginia, and logistically and financially it doesn't make much sense!

No comments:

Post a Comment