Wednesday, July 31, 2013

My Towel Gets Wet, but I Don't Get Dry

Getting down to the nitty gritty: trying to keep clean!

We're fortunate that our bungalow has western-style bathroom fixtures -- sort of.

We'll start with the bath/shower. We have a bathtub, but don't use it. The shower is not in the tub, but directly on the wall in front of the toilet. There's a drain in the floor, of course, but when you use the shower, pretty much everything in the bathroom gets wet. And stays wet. I've resigned myself to getting my feet wet every time I use the toilet -- or brush my teeth or wash my face or wash my hands. We're pretty much barefoot in the house anyway, because you leave shoes outside. Even when shopping, you frequently leave your shoes outside the shop and come in socks or bare feet.

5 cubic meter (750 gal) water tank on left; solar hot water system on right (not connected)
Also note how sun and monsoon rains "age" materials quickly. This tank was brand-new two months ago!
As for the shower, the water pressure is pretty weak, even with a supplemental pressure tank. Water is stored on the roof. I would have thought that would give enough pressure, but Lon says without the pressure tank, it's just a trickle. We also do not have hot water. There's a solar hot water system, but it leaks, so it's disconnected. Doesn't do too much in monsoon anyway! Fortunately, the water isn't really cold (probably about 80°F, since that's the ambient temperature), but it does take my breath away when I first get under it. Kinda like jumping into a swimming pool. Once you get used to it, it's fine, but that first jump.... ooh!

The toilets are flush -- sort of. They are what we would use in commercial places in the U.S. -- no tank, just a flush valve. But the water pressure doesn't support a good flush. You have to supplement with a bucketful of water (or the bidet!).

No comments:

Post a Comment