Friday, August 9, 2013

Trash Redux

A bit more about household trash.

Since we're cooking "veg", we have a lot of compostable material. And since we are not composting, we fill a small (grocery store size) plastic bag everyday with rinds, peels, parings, seeds, husks, pods, etc. After composting for a few years, I feel really bad about tossing this waste -- not least of which because it involves using those detested and eternal (as in non-degrading) plastic bags. But even if there were paper bags, during monsoon that really wouldn't work.

Where does it go? That's a good question. I think it may be a case of "don't ask, don't tell."

We put it out at our front gate every morning. Sometimes animals get into it (what a mess!), but usually it just disappears. Daily, very poor people come through the neighborhood carrying large plastic buckets or pushing carts. They pick up the cast-offs. Cardboard, paper, metal, and plastic bottles get recycled. I presume the vegetable waste gets fed to animals -- probably cows and buffalo. And I guess the plastic bags end up in the ubiquitous huge piles of plastic debris.

I'm not sure I want to know more, but I probably should.

No comments:

Post a Comment