Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Multi-Cultural Dinner

For dinner last night:

Indian subji-masala meets Latin American empanadas baked (not fried) American-style.
For additional "healthiness", the dough is whole-wheat and the filling is veg.

I even had to make my own empanada dough -- which is just another variation on unleavened bread. The major difference is an egg in the dough (which makes it non-vegan). The filling was my usual mixture of green beans and carrots seasoned with neem (curry), cumin, onion, cilantro, garlic, ginger, chilies, and garam masala. Side dish was a "salad" of raw onions and cucumbers in cilantro-garlic-yogurt. (Let's get a little Mediterranean influence in there as well!)

I've got to find a way to chop chilies without my fingers absorbing the capsacin and "burning" for hours!

And, of course, they would taste better fried!

4 comments:

  1. Unfortunately the only thing I've figured out to prevent chili burn is wearing latex gloves. You could also try washing your hands right away or rinsing them in vinegar after you touch the pepper... but anything hotter than a jalapeno will probably not wash off easily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be afraid of getting small snips of latex into the food! And you're right -- the oil doesn't wash off, even with detergent. Worse yet, when I wipe the sweat off my face, then my face tingles as well!

      Delete
  2. (that being said... those look delicious and worth the burn!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The one thing I would change is to chop the vegetables smaller and more uniformly!

    ReplyDelete