Monday, September 21, 2015

Tree of Life

Sometimes it's good to go back and thumb through old photos. While looking for photos of Agra Fort, I came across this photo I took last September in the Oberoi Hotel, New Delhi:

Lobby, Oberoi Hotel, New Delhi

At the time I just thought it was a beautiful design. But it triggered my recent memory. Here's a photo I took in Ahmedabad last month:

Jaali, Sidi Sayid Masjid, Ahmedabad

This jaali (stone lattice screen used to block the view and filter sunlight) has become the symbol of Ahmedabad. I'm sure the Oberoi's use of it in their decor is a direct reference, although I can find no connection between Oberoi and Ahmedabad.

The design is known as the "Tree of Life" and is a date palm (Phoenix dactylifera). In addition to a source of food that keeps for a long time (years, even), the date also provides wood for construction and fronds that are used to make baskets and ropes. It even has medicinal uses.

No comments:

Post a Comment