Friday, May 12, 2023

Australia - 21 - The Main Event: Total Eclipse of the Sun

Thursday, 20 April 2023

The day we've all been waiting for - a total solar eclipse. This will be our second total eclipse - the first one was in Oregon in 2017. (And we're preparing for the 2024 eclipse that will traverse the United States from Texas to Maine.)


We were anchored just off Exmouth, on the center line of totality. The beach at Exmouth had a lot of land-based eclipse viewers.

We were joined off-shore by the Pacific Explorer, a 2000-passenger cruise ship with 140 eclipse-viewers on board on a Sky & Telescope eclipse cruise.

Lon took this picture of me at my "eclipse station". I took all my photos with hand-held cameras, since I thought that the ship's movement would make keeping an image in a camera on a tripod difficult. Turned out I could have used a tripod, but then I didn't have to cart it around for a month for a single day's use!

The eclipse sequence. Click on the photo to view a larger version.

Totality. Unfortunately, I have not figured out, after years of trying, how to force my "little camera" (Canon PowerShot SX720 HS) to focus at infinity.

Exmouth was a US Navy communications base in World War II. The array of antennas for submarine communications is still there.

Tonight was Australian BBQ night on board the ship with carved fruits decorating the buffet table.


No comments:

Post a Comment